January 20, 2012

Please Give a Warm Welcome to Jenna Jaxon!

Please welcome Jenna to Cheryl's Place.  Jenna Jaxon is a newly published author of historical  and contemporary romance who has been reading and writing historical romance since she was a teenager.  A romantic herself, Jenna has always loved a dark side to the genre, a twist, suspense, a surprise.  She tries to incorporate all of these elements into her own writing. 

Jenna lives in Virginia with her family and a small menagerie of pets.  When not reading or writing, she indulges her passion for the theatre, working with local theatres as a director.  She often feels she is directing her characters on their own private stage. She has equated her writing to an addiction to chocolate because once she starts she just can’t stop.

What is your favorite pastime, other than writing?  Reading of course, reading historical romance in particular (with forays into Stephen King), and directing in the theatre.

When did you first get the writing bug?  I remember writing a story when I was in third grade that I made hand written copies of for a 1st grade class.  I’ve always loved writing, but started seriously almost exactly three years ago.

Any advice for new writers just starting out?  Write every day.  Learn to take criticism.  Never give up.

What is a typical writing day for you? Well, writing gets sandwiched around my day job.  An ideal day would be start at about 8:30 am and stop around 12:00 midnight.  With suitable potty breaks of course.  My real day is come home at 6pm, start writing by 6:30, go to bed by 1am.

What genre or genres do you write? I write erotic contemporary and historical romance.  But historical is my first love.

Do you see yourself trying any another genre in the future and if so which one?  If I had to choose one I’d choose western, if that’s a sub-genre.  But it would be western historical.

What book are you reading now? I just this morning finished Outlander.  My new favorite romance of all time.  Now I’m on to Outlander 2.
What’s your current WIP?  I’m finishing two ms right now.  One erotic contemporary called 7 Days of Seduction and an historical I’ve been writing on for two years but it always kept getting pushed aside by other works.  Now is As Long As You’re Mine’s time to shine!

Do you prefer your men in boxers, briefs or commando?  Boxers


Tell us about your latest release?  My latest release is Almost Perfect from Decadent Publishing for their 1Night Stand series.  It’s about a woman who’s trying to jump-start a new life after a messy divorce.  She’s given a 1NS as a birthday gift and wants a pirate adventure.  Trouble is, she’s marooned on a not-quite deserted island--with her ex-husband.

What inspired you to write Almost Perfect? Almost Perfect was summoned on a Metro train in DC last summer.  I’d been toying with the idea of writing a 1NS so on the ride I started playing the “Magic If’ game.  If I wanted to put the two most unlikely people together, who and where would they be?  I also had the idea of Fantasy Island, so the deserted island came up pretty quick.  Then the characters just started talking to me and that was that.
 
What makes your hero special?  He’s really a good guy, with a single purpose.  He’s got something to make up for and he goes in with a one-track mind about getting it.  And I love a geek at heart. Er, hot! 

What makes your heroine special?  She’s brash and know-it-all, but unfailingly optimistic.  I love her quirk of spouting movies and movie trivia.  And she’s big enough to say I’m sorry.

And finally, where can we stalk you?  I hang out a lot at my blog, Jenna’s Journal  I also have a Jenna Jaxon Facebook Page, and you can Tweet me @Jenna_Jaxon.

Thank you for visiting today, Jenna!

Pick up a copy of, Almost Perfect, today!


Buy Now:


37 comments:

  1. Wow Jenna, two-WIPs at a time? I can't imagine! I know a lot of people can, but I just can't. I love historicals, hope one day to write one.
    Nice meeting you.Good luck with your sales,
    Neecy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Neecy! I seem to always have at least two irons in the fire keeping me busy--and a stack of outlines that keep calling my name as well! But I'd rather be busy than not writing. :)

      Delete
  2. Great interview, ladies. Almost Perfect sounds great, best of luck with it, Jenna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview. I envy you that you have all that time to write. I would settle for an hour.

    Marika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I never feel like I have a lot of time to write--except the weekends (maybe). I think of my self as always having to steal time to write. But I feel too guilty if I don't make time to do it every day. Thanks for stopping by, Marika!

      Delete
  4. Great interview you two! I'm glad I'm not the only one working on more than one WIP at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really hard to do, to apportion time to each. I usually start the one, then the second one yammers at me to start it, then I give in and end up feeling guilty because i can't write on both simultaneously! Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone either, Lia. :)

      Delete
  5. Almost perfect...........sounds good...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you get a chance to pick it up. It's a fun, quick read. :)

      Delete
  6. ALmost Perfect is a great read. Congratulations on the story. This woman's prose is beautiful! Anyone who hasn't read her needs to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Casea! (You're check's in the mail! LOL) Appreciate the super kind words. Love ya!

      Delete
  7. Great interview, ladies! I love everything I've read of yours, Jenna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, D'Ann! I appreciate the kudos so much. And I'm glad you've enjoyed my work--as I have yours. :)

      Delete
  8. Wonderful questions and wonderful answers! I wish all author interviews were this well done. Love your books, Jenna. Can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Trish! I'm glad it went so well, because this was my first interview as an author and I was kind of nervous. :) Thanks for the vote of confidence and all your help with my works!

      Delete
  9. I think your statement about "hanging out at your blog alot" is a major understatement - you are one buys lady.

    Good interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knew I would get addicted to blogging? But I think that is what has happened. Or maybe I just like to hear myself "talk" in print. But yeah, I try to keep my hands occupied. LOL Thank you, Daryl.

      Delete
  10. I love Jenna.
    I'm going to be purchasing Almost Perfect latter today and I'm excited to sit down in my comfy chair and read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Brenda! I do hope you like it. I'll imagine you in your comfy chair, coffee in hand while I'm slaving away over a hot keyboard revising the next book! LOL I like that picture. :) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My hats off to you if you stay up to 1 am writing.

    Maggie O'Malley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maggie. I have to make myself go to bed at one sometimes, because I don't want to stop. I have been known to fall asleep at the keyboard!

      Delete
  13. Almost Perfect sounds fabulous. I've added it to my TBR list. I'm currently working on three different projects and I feel like I have a multiple personality disorder. Luckily I'm in the final stage of edits on one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ally! I feel your pain! Working on multiple projects can make you feel crazy, I know. Especially if the characters are forceful in wanting your attention and wanting it NOW. LOL Good luck with yours and thanks for taking the time to drop by. :)

      Delete
  14. Hey Jenna I can't waitto read your new book! I love the cover :P Great interview!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks Hales! I love that cover too! They look so wistful--you just want them to get their HEA. :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  15. Fabulous interview, Jenna! I've been writing for about the same amount of time, but like you, have been doing it all along.

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica! Yes, I can't remember when writing wasn't a part of my life in some form. I guess we've proved perseverance works! Thanks so much for coming by. :)

      Delete
  16. Great to get to know more about you, Jenna! Outlander is AWESOME, isn't it? That's the story that got me motvated to purse publishing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, that should be pursue, not purse :(

      Delete
    2. LOL Alexa! And yes, Outlander is totally awesome! It's the first book in over a year that I've had to tear myself away from to go write! Stayed up all night to finish it and it was totally worth the lost sleep. I'm into Dragonfly in Amber now. :) Thanks so much for stopping by today.

      Delete
  17. Cheryl, I wanted to thank you so much for having me on your blog today. It was a really great interview and I'm so happy so many folks came by! For my first interview, I couldn't have asked for a better experience!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry I'm late to the party! Loved the interview. It was great to learn more about you Jenna and your book. Absolutely love the premise...sounds like it'll be a fun read :) As for your heroine..nothing like a bit of brash and sass...lol

    Congrats on your release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christine! Never too late to my party. :) Pam was a lot of fun to write, because she's not a "think before you speak" type of girl, so she gets herself into trouble and I have fun trying to get her out of it. LOL

      Delete
  19. Thank you for visiting, Jenna! It was a pleasure to get to know you.

    -Cheryl

    ReplyDelete