November 19, 2012

Let's Shake It Up!

Today we're going to have a different kind of blogger. One of my friends from Goodreads, Michael Brookes. Michael is an Indie author who writes  horror and supernatural thrillers.  Please join me in giving Michael a warm welcome. 

Michael, Please tell us a little about yourself.

My name is Michael Brookes, I spend the daylight hours making games. The dark hours are spent tapping away on my laptop.

What is your favorite pastime, other than writing?

Playing computer games is one of my life passions and rather handily that is my day job. So I spend day and night doing something I love.

When did you first get the writing bug?

I've always been an avid reader, so that really got me into writing at a young age. For many years I only wrote short stories, only recently have I turned my hand to novels.

Any advice for new writers just starting out?

Keep at it. Always try to make your writing better. Listen to people's advice, but also be strong enough to make your own choice. Most importantly of all, don't give up. You might not write a bestseller, but there's always a satisfaction in a stranger enjoying your story.

What is a typical writing day for you?

I wish I could write full time and devote more hours! During the week I try and spend at least two or three hours writing, at the weekend that increases to six or seven hours.

Tell us about your latest release?

An Odd Quartet is my latest release, it contains four dark short stories. I like to take some familiar ideas and do something a little different with them.

http://www.amazon.com/An-Odd-Quartet-...


Please share an excerpt of your book!

Rather than an excerpt, here's one of my 100 word stories (called a drabble apparently). It is called - Clowns

Lying on my bed and see my room full of clowns. Happy clowns, sad clowns, laughing clowns, even a tall gaunt clown with spindly legs. My mummy thinks I like them and keeps buying me more. I wish I could tell her how much they frighten me. Everywhere I look, I see another clown's face.


One hundred different clowns, none of them the same. I say my prayers with mummy then count them before I sleep. Snuggled in my duvet I count them once again. This time the number comes up short and there's a rustle under the bed.


What book are you reading now?

I am currently reading The Paradise Prophecy by John Bourne. It's a supernatural thriller based on Paradise Lost (the greatest story ever told in my opinion).

What inspired you to write your latest story?

I'm about to start the Nano - The National Novel Writing Month (http://www.nanowrimo.org/). This year I have the idea to explore about an Internet chatbot that starts granting wishes, but what is the price? As with most of my ideas it came to me while driving into work.

What’s your current WIP?

I have a few first drafts knocking around, the most urgent one is Conversations in the Abyss. This is the sequel to my first novel The Cult of Me. I'm hoping to have it finished by Spring next year.

Tell us what excites you about writing and being published.

I love telling stories. I seem to be bursting with them. If I didn't release them in some way I'd probably explode :-)

And finally, where can we stalk you?

I am available for stalking at my blog: http://thecultofme.blogspot.co.uk/

I can also be followed on Twitter: @TheCultofMe


Thanks for having me!


Michael

1 comment: