December 28, 2012

Character Interview - Daniels’ Desire


Callie, welcome to Cheryl’s place!  I’m thrilled to have you and your characters here.




Daniel and Rosemarie, please tell us about the first time you saw each other.

Daniel: My lovely Rosemarie was near death the first time I laid eyes on her. She was a widow with three children to provide for. While attempting to cut fire wood, her axe slipped and made a nasty gash in her leg. She tried to fix it up herself, but when I saw her, it had become infected, and I had fears she might lose her leg, or even her life.

Rosemarie: The first time I saw Daniel, that I remember, he was standing in the doorway to my bedroom, carrying clean sheets to change my bed. Not too fond of Rebels, I aimed my gun at his chest and demanded he leave my house. You have to realize I was a little bit afraid of him, and in a lot of pain. Not my best moment.

What drew you to him/her? 

Daniel: Her strength and courage. Even though life had dealt her a difficult hand, she didn’t sit around wailing about it. She did her best to provide for her family. Also, the softness that came out when she dealt with her children. Of course her beauty didn’t hurt, either.

Rosemarie: The way he treated me and my children. I had been used to gruffness from the men in my life up until Daniel arrived. But he was so kind and good, it softened me toward him. And I loved his good looks and strong build.

What is your favorite thing about him or her?

Daniel: They way Rosemarie loves. It’s a complete, all-encompassing sense of belonging to her. 

Rosemarie: Daniel can be strong when needed, and tender when necessary. A wonderful combination in a husband.

Care to share future plans?

 Daniel: I lost my family’s land when my step mother had to sell our horse farm for taxes. Rosemarie has a wonderful, productive farm. We’re slowly adding breeding and training horses. 

Rosemarie:  Yes, the new babe I carry.  But, shhh, don’t tell Daniel. I’m going to surprise him. Soon.

Callie has been making up stories since elementary school, and writing gave her a way to turn off the voices in her head.  She’s had a number of articles and interviews published over the years, and finally decided to put her writing skills to the test and write novels.
Oklahoma is where she hangs her hat with her husband of thirty-six years, two young adult children, and three dogs. 

You can catch her hanging out at Facebook, Twitter- @CallieHutton, and her home base, www.calliehutton.com. Stop by sometime and say hello.

Books by Callie Hutton:
Oklahoma Lovers series, #1, #2, #3
     A Run For Love (Tori & Jesse)
     A Wife By Christmas (Ellie & Max)
     A Prescription For Love (Michael & Heidi)

An Angel in the Mail
Tessa’s Treasures
Miss Merry’s Christmas
Daniel’s Desire
All of Callie Hutton’s books can be found at www.Amazon.com and www.BarnesandNoble.com. 
 
Blurb for Daniels’ Desire:
When Confederate soldier, Lt. Daniel McCoy makes his escape from a Union prison toward the end of the Civil War, his only thought is to get as far away from enemy territory as possible. But he doesn’t count on saving young widow Rosemarie Wilson’s life from an infected leg wound.

Rosemarie has no use for Rebels soldiers, having lost everything, including her husband, the last time they came to her home. However, Daniel has not only saved her life, but is sticking around to help with the farm and her three children until she recovers.

With Union soldiers searching for him, every day Daniel remains puts him in danger. Or is the beautiful widow who has captured his heart the greater risk?



Excerpt:


“How would you like to go hunting with me?” Daniel set the food down, keeping his eye on the gun, and the boy’s movements.

Chandler shrugged.

“We could get some fresh meat for the family.” He pulled out a chair, and sat next to him. “You know, Chandler, as the man of the family, it’s your job to make sure the family eats.”

“I know that,” he groused.

“Any luck?”

Chandler shook his head. Then he looked up at Daniel, the hostility gone, replaced by a child’s fear. “Things were easier when Pa was here. I wanted him to teach me to hunt, but he always said, ‘next year.’”

Daniel’s heart twisted. What a burden for such a young boy.

“I’ll tell you what. I’ll check on your mama, and then once she’s cleaned up and I’m sure she’s doing all right, you and I will hunt up some dinner.”

“Both of us?”

“Yes, son, both of us. You go ahead and finish your chore, and I’ll check on your mama.”

Daniel stood and stretched, wincing when he got a whiff of himself. A bath was definitely in order sometime soon. “Where does your mama keep the clean sheets?”

“I’ll show you.” Chandler jumped up from his seat, and hurried to a cabinet in the parlor. “Here.”

“Maybe a clean pillow slip, too?”

The boy returned to the cabinet, and rifled around a bit before emerging with a white pillow slip, blue and purple embroidering around the hem.

“Thank you. Now you put that gun together, and once I take care of your mama, I’ll be back, and we’ll go hunting.”

“What about Jace and Amelia?”

“I think as long as they stay in the room with your mama, they’ll be all right until we return.”

Gathering the sheet and pillow slip to his chest, Daniel headed down the hallway toward the bedroom where his patient lay.

The woman must have been awake, because a soft female voice reached his ears, along with the bright chatter of Amelia. Smiling, he entered the doorway.

Mrs. Wilson lay flat on her back, her two youngest children flanking either side. Her deep blue eyes glittered with anger. With a shaky hand she raised a pistol, cocked, and aimed at his chest, just as he cleared the doorway.

“Get the hell out of my house, Reb.”

Buy link: http://amzn.to/SWJKu9

My links:

Twitter: @calliehutton
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Callie-Hutton/206166449404454

12 comments:

  1. Wonderful interview. Great excerpt. Here's to many sales, Callie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ella. I appreciate the visit.

      Delete
  2. What an enlightening interview, Daniel and Rosemarie! Thanks for opening up for us all.

    *waves madly to Cheryl* Hi Cheryl! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Calisa! *waves back*

      Thanks for stopping by.

      -Cheryl

      Delete
  3. When I curled up with Daniel's Desire, the characters curled up in my heart! I love this story and recommend the book to all readers. Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Anna. I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the interview with Daniel and Rosemarie, Callie. And the excerpt sounds delightful. Best of luck with the release.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview and loved the book! Best of luck with the sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, B. J. Best of luck with your book, Highland Quest.

      Delete
  7. Callie, it was a pleasure having you here.

    Best of luck with all your books. See you conference...can't wait!

    -Cheryl

    ReplyDelete