December 3, 2012

Please Give A Warm Welcome to Brittiany Koren of Written Dreams



Welcome to Cheryl’s place!  I’m thrilled to have you here.
Please tell us a little about yourself.
Thanks for having me as your guest today, Cheryl. Sure, I’d be happy to share. 
 I’m married to my own personal hero, and the love of my life. We have three children-one in college, one in high school, and one in middle school. I’ve worked in the publishing industry since 1997, and sold my first anthology in 2000. I collaborated with legendary editor Martin H. Greenberg on five anthologies for DAW Books, I created the White House Gardener mystery series with author Dorothy St. James, and I started my own business, Written Dreams, a writing and editorial service for writers, in 2011. I love making cheesecakes from scratch, and autumn is my favorite season of the year. The changing of the colors is so beautiful in Wisconsin.
What is your favorite pastime, other than writing?
I enjoy being with my family, watching my children grow to be the young adults they’re becoming, helping them when they need it, and staying on the sidelines when they’re ready to be on their own. I love being a mom. My children are my life. As a family, we enjoy watching movies or sports, traveling and visiting different aquariums.
When did you first get the writing bug?
I think writers are wired a little bit differently than everyone else. I first started creating stories around age five, when I couldn’t decide what I wanted to be when I grew up—a lawyer, a dancer, or a writer. Ultimately I decided to get into publishing because I love the written word. There’s so much you can do with it. Taking away the ability to write would be detrimental to a writer’s health.
Any advice for new writers just starting out?

Don’t give up! Ever! If this is something you truly want to pursue, surround yourself with people who will support you and never stop writing. It can be frustrating at times, believe me, I know. I’ve spoken with a lot of writers at different points in their careers, and the one thing everyone agrees on is this is a lonely business. Self-motivation is key to being successful. Every day of the week on my blog I try to find ways to inspire writers—either by using a writing exercise, a guest speaking about their own experiences, or something else. Find a way to keep yourself motivated, and you’ll be successful. 

Tell us what excites you about writing and getting published.
I’ve had the opportunity to experience publishing from a unique viewpoint from idea to finished book on hundreds of books through my own experiences of working with Marty Greenberg. Marty was an amazing man and believed so much in the underdog in publishing, the writer. Keeping with his philosophy, my goal is to help as many writers as I can fulfill their dreams.
I’ve made a lot of friends in the publishing industry and they are a caring group of people. I remember the first time I saw my name in print on an anthology I edited, Single White Vampire Seeks Same. Someone at the office had laid out all 40 copies we had received from the publisher on my desk. When I came in and saw the books, I cried. It was such a thrill! But what really excites me is reading a good book. The journey of learning about someone or something you didn’t know about before. Books change lives, and there’s been plenty that have changed mine.
What’s your current WIP? 

I edit A LOT, so unfortunately I don’t have a lot of time to work on my own writing. I really enjoy working with authors on their own stories, helping them to tell the story they were meant to share with an audience. Currently I’m editing a historical romance, a military thriller, a mystery, and a contemporary romance. I’m writing a marketing how to book for writers, a time travel romance, and a new story I just started is a conspiracy-based romance. I’m also putting together a new anthology that will be released in February 2013. It’s a Contest-based anthology, so anyone can submit a story for it. Here’s more details: http://writtendreams.com/Contests.html  I like to think outside the box, and have fun while working! 

What are some of your services?

I have two editors that work with me, Susan Pawlicki and Lara Hunter. What we want to offer authors is a one-stop shop for publishing. From coaching, to proofing, to giving suggestions on marketing materials or how to market their works, to editing a full length novel, ebook formatting, cover art, to website design. Keeping our services affordable for writers is important to me. I know what it’s like to live on a budget. J

And finally, where can we stalk you? 

The best place to reach me personally is on my website: writtendreams.com or on the Written Dreams Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn pages. Just look for the WD in the cloud. I want to give back to the publishing industry what the industry has so graciously given to me. Hope, and belief in myself. I try to post encouraging messages on our pages for writers who may be struggling, or who just might need a good laugh that day. It’s fun, and I love helping people. There’s nothing else in the world I would rather be doing than editing a good book. It’s my passion.
 

https://www.facebook.com/writtendreams

Visit Brittiany's blog at: http://writtendreams.com/editingessentials/


2 comments:

  1. Nice interview Cheryl and Brittiany.

    Brittiany, it sounds like you have a lot on your plate. Good luck with your contest anthology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Val! It's fun, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by. :)

    ReplyDelete