March 5, 2013

Please Give a Warm Welcome to Tracey Cramer-Kelly



Welcome to Cheryl’s place!  I’m thrilled to have you here.
Please tell us a little about yourself.
Hi Cheryl, and thank you for hosting me today! I’m writing from small-town Minnesota, where I live with my hubby and two kids, age 5 and 10. I work a full-time job, running our family motorcycle business.
At heart I am a storyteller; I love digging deep into a character and exploring how things that happen in their life impact and transform them. Although I’ve released two books (both of which have been winners or finalists in contests), today I hope to share information about my soon-to-be-released third novel, Take Two: a Hollywood Romance with a Twist.
What is your favorite pastime, other than writing?
My favorite way to spend time is riding my motorcycle, especially if my kids and hubby are with me. Unfortunately, here in Minnesota I’m lucky if I can stretch that to seven months of the year.
I’m also a vocalist (I’ve released two cover songs and been featured on other albums) and play taiko drums, which is like a cross between martial arts and banging on BIG drums (great exercise!). I’ve even toyed with video and production; in fact, my second music video, featuring a female motorcyclist, was just released: http://www.traceycramerkelly.com/cool-rider-music-video/
What is a typical writing day for you?
There is no such thing as a typical day when you own a business and have active kids! So my writing time is “stolen” hours whenever I can get them (I’m writing this in a coffee shop). It makes it harder to get into the “flow” but I’m proof it can be done if you want it badly enough! I also daydream anywhere and everywhere, so that when I do sit down to write I have an idea where I want to go.
Do you see yourself trying any another genre in the future and if so which one?
Right now I’m experimenting with short-story erotica, and I recently completed my first short script (a theater/film production). I’m trying to get back into writing music. And I’d love to write a movie script, but I only have so many hours in a day, so I’ve chosen to focus on novels.
Tell us about your latest release?
Oh, this is the fun stuff! Here’s why. Starting March 6, I’m sharing a new “installment” of Take Two (for FREE) on my blog every week. Click here for details: http://www.traceycramerkelly.com/read-my-next-novel-for-free-heres-how/

Take Two is about an up-and-coming actor who is poisoned on set and is forced to recover at the (rather older, ahem) director’s home with her two teenage daughters. There’s a tragic past and medical emergencies, sexual tension and other sumptuous writing fodder. Read the teaser here: http://www.TakeTwoNovel.com
Please share an excerpt of your book!
               When the technician brushed Zac’s arm with a dark liquid, he understood the unspoken question in Gina’s eyes. “Lidocaine,” he said. “It numbs the skin so the needles don’t hurt as much.”
               “Does it work?”
               “Some,” he said.
               He studied her as she watched that first needle insertion. He was determined not to flinch.
               But she did…and her features flooded with a mix of emotions he couldn’t identify. He caught her hand in his as she started to pull away.
               She met his eyes, and he recognized at least one emotion, because he’d felt it so often himself: anguish. But something else: it was as if she was looking into the depths of him. To see what is really there?
               For the first time in his life, he didn’t shy away. He held her gaze as that second fiery needle slipped into his vein. Held it and watched something flicker in her eyes and knew that he hadn’t succeeded in hiding the needle’s effect on him. But he felt no misgivings about allowing her to see that small vulnerability.
               “Zac…” It was only a whisper, but it held so much more. She tilted her head toward him as if to share a secret. He did the same, as if to receive that secret. She was so close he could smell her—a mixture of soap and baby oil.
               He desperately wished his left arm was free, because his one and only instinct was to run that hand up into her hair and pull her closer.
               Gina’s breath was like a feather against the side of his face. He sensed the technician testing the access lines, taping the tubing into place, and working with the machine, but he felt suspended…unwilling to move until Gina did.
               Only when the technician left did Gina finally speak. “I’m so sorry, Zac.”
               It was not what he’d expected, and it took an effort to keep his voice soft but firm. “You have nothing to be sorry for.”
               “If I hadn’t thought it was the flu… if I hadn’t pushed you that day...” Gina began to pull away.
               “Whoa, hey.” He brought his left hand to cover their hands.
               Gina looked down at his arm—at the tape and the tubes and the blood. “If I’d taken you to the hospital sooner…”
               “Gina, stop.” She could not really think this…could she? “You’ve got it all wrong.”

What inspired you to write Take Two?
 I like to say that my second book (True Surrender) led to my third. The first video I produced (“The Rose / Surrender Version”) features scenes from True Surrender (which is a wounded veteran’s personal journey and transformation). The experience of seeing my writing come to life was exhilarating and empowering but also humbling. The seed for Take Two was planted then, but as if often the case, the characters told me what would happen next!
Tell us what excites you about writing and getting published.
When I hear from readers that my writing touched them in some way, that really makes my day. Sometimes it is hard to keep going. But ultimately, I have this need to share, and hopefully I’ll find readers who are receptive to my style of writing, which is not your formulaic romance.
 Do you prefer your men in boxers, briefs or commando?
Hmm…I like ‘em all, but I think briefs show off a nice ass the best.
And finally, where can we stalk you?
My “hub” is my web site (www.TraceyCramerKelly.com)
The installments will be posted to my blog: http://www.TraceyCramerKelly.com/blog


No comments:

Post a Comment