September 17, 2013

Please Give a Warm Welcome to Liza O'Connor



The old matron of society, Madeline, has learned about Carrie existence from Coco who claims he’s besotted with Carrie. 
While he’s assured Madeline that Carrie is nothing more than an employee and he’s not involved with her, he needs a distraction to get the woman’s mind focused elsewhere.

Excerpt:
 “Have you heard from Pete recently?” Trent and Pete use to share horrible parent stories over stolen beer when they were kids.
“Who?”
“Your son.”
“Oh, Peter. I haven’t spoken to him in years. He has no use for his mother anymore. Never mind all the hard work I put into him. He’s become completely feral, probably rotting away in a prison somewhere, hopefully under an assumed name.”
Trent envied the fellow. How great must it be to have escaped the society matrons’ claws entirely.
The idea of Trent escaping society soon formed in his head. Pete had done it, why couldn’t he?
So he hunts down Pete, who thankfully was not rotting in prison as his mother said. Pete had changed his name to Jon Javits and had become an author.
Trent called Pete’s number with trepidation. What if Pete hated him? Or lumped him in with all the other assholes he’d grown up with?
Still it would be nice to have another couple to help them through the rough waters ahead. Like an experienced guide on a canoe trip warning them to avoid the rapids on the right. Not that he’d ever gone canoeing, but if he did, he’d definitely want a guide.
“This is Jon and Patty Javits. We aren’t home right now. Please leave your name and number and we’ll get back to you.”
At the beep, Trent spoke. “Jon, this is Trent Lancaster. I don’t know if you even remember me, but we used to be friends. At least in my memory we were friends, as kids. Anyway, I’ve decided to disown my ‘people,’ whom I’ve never liked, for a fabulous young woman and I—“
“Trent?” a familiar voice replied.
“Pete?”
“Jon, but yeah, it’s me. So you want to live in the real world do you?”
“I’ve been skirting the edges for years, running a business, falling in love with my EA, but recently ‘my people’ have become overly involved with my life. Last night, I got waylaid by your mother and when she made one comment too many, I told her to stay out of my business. I didn’t have much hope of her actually doing so until I discovered you were living here in the city with a wife you love and kids. I’d really like some advice. I don’t want to screw this up. Carrie’s the best thing that’s ever happened to me.” He paused. “And once I become a normal person, maybe we could be friends again.”
Jon laughed. “I’d like that. You’d be my one friend with whom I can talk out my still-raging childhood angers. Frankly, Patty’s tired of hearing about them. They seem pretty lame to her, but you’ll understand.”

So Jon and his wife Patty come out to NJ to go hiking. Finally, Trent has a friend who can help him become ‘normal’.

But is NORMAL something you can learn when you’re a billionaire?

Leave a comment below and tell me what you think.

Oh Stupid Heart

Book Two of: A Long Road To Love
Humorous Contemporary Disaster Romance
By
Liza O’Connor
Blurb:
Carrie Hanson is in love with a different species: Trent, a pampered, uber-rich socialite who’s also her boss. Everyone keeps telling her it’s a train wreck looking to happen, but her heart wants what it wants. So despite the billion and one reasons not to, Carrie commits to this inter-species relationship. But while she's off being trained for her new job responsibilities, a beautiful ex fiancĂ©e is working hard to get Trent back and Carrie fired.
Excerpt:
Carrie glanced up at Trent. “Can I have one of your business cards?”
He handed one over, curious why Carrie wanted it. She flipped it over and wrote, These bills were given to Miss Claire as an act of charity. They are hers to spend.
She handed Trent the card. “Sign it, please.”
He signed the card and Carrie presented it to the old woman.
Her eyes rounded as she read it. “You know my name.”
“We’ve talked before.”
“Right. You’re the nice girl who pointed out how much cheaper it would be for me to buy a monthly card instead of paying the daily rate. I appreciated your advice. I’ve been able to buy better food and even had money saved up so, when I got sick, I could get well enough to keep working.” She patted Carrie’s arm. “I’m glad you got yourself a good man. You deserve it.”
Carrie glanced up at him and smiled. “He is a good man.”
She whispered in the old woman’s ear. Whatever she said cause the woman’s forehead to furrow.
She thrust the bills into Carrie’s hand. “I appreciate the thought, but I can’t take your money. But thank you both. You’re good people, and the world could use more like you.”
To his shock, Carrie didn’t argue. She only hugged the woman. “You are good people, too.”
Half the crowded train watched the fiasco. Great! Not only had the old woman rejected his act of charity, but a mob of commuters had witnessed his failed attempt at being a “good person.” His grandmother had to be thrashing in her grave.
BUY LINKS
for
A Long Road to Love
Book Two
To Follow the 2nd Craziest Blog Tour
for
Oh Stupid Heart
Book One
Worst Week Ever
Click Here
Liza O’Connor
Author Bio:
Liza lives in Denville, NJ with her dog Jess. They hike in fabulous woods every day, rain or shine, sleet or snow. Having an adventurous nature, she learned to fly small cessnas in NJ, hang-glide in New Zealand, kayak in Pennsylvania, ski in New York, scuba dive with great white sharks in Australia, dig up dinosaur bones in Montana, sky dive in Indiana, and raft a class four river in Tasmania. She’s an avid gardener, amateur photographer, and dabbler in watercolors and graphic arts. Yet through her entire life, her first love has and always will be writing novels. She loves to create interesting characters, set them loose, and scribe what happens.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT 
LIZA O'CONNOR &
SAVING CASEY:
Books by Liza O’Connor
Coming Soon 
Coming To Reason
Ghost Lover
Raftacopter link for the $25 Amazon Gift Card.


8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for having me on your beautiful blog.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful excerpt!! Hmm, I don't think Trent will ever be completely normal, whatever that means, but he can learn to trust himself and Carrie. Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, having billions kind of prevents a great deal of normal things in a normal life. Such as driving. He has no clue how to drive. Or cook, or type, or take his clothes to the cleaners...he just sends Sam or have a service deliver. It would be silly for him to accompany his clothes.

      Delete
  3. I like your cover art. So many interesting situations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd still like to smack that Madeline!! One thing Michael Bloomberg (another lovely billionaire ) said was in the 12 years he's been mayor, he hasn't driven. Now that he's (FINALLY)returning to civilian lie, he still won't drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The darn gatekeeper ate my response.
      If I had money to hire Sam, I wouldn't drive either.

      Delete