February 18, 2015

Please Give a Warm Welcome to Kim Hotzon

Welcome to Cheryl’s place! I’m thrilled to have you here.
Thank you Cheryl, I'm happy to be on your blog today!

Please tell us a little about yourself. I was born in Vancouver, British Columbia, and have lived here most of my life. At an early age I developed a passion for writing. My interest in people has led me all over the globe, including a two year stay in Japan and a humanitarian trip to Rwanda.

I love to write romance stories with a twist, usually involving a dangerous and dramatic backdrop. My first novel, Hands Full of Ashes (published Jan. 14, 2015), was inspired by my trip to Africa.

I spent many years teaching young adults with learning disabilities at Kwantlen Polytechnic University and I am now focused on writing full-time. I recently became a member of the Canadian Authors Association. I currently reside in the sunny Okanagan with my husband and two children.

What is your favorite pastime, other than writing? While I love writing, spending time outdoors is also a big part of my life. I live in a naturally beautiful region, with lakes and mountains, so I spend a lot of time skiing, hiking, biking and kayaking.

Any advice for new writers just starting out? Join a writer's group - the support is incalculable! Have people read your writing, share it and edit it! Submit your work to writing contests, attend writing conferences, and begin drafting a polished query letter. It's a lot of work, but if you love to write, keep at it!

What genre or genres do you write? Though I published an earlier memoir on my life in Japan, my primary focus of writing is romantic suspense.

Amazon Buy Link: Hands Full of Ashes
Tell us about your latest release. Hands Full of Ashes was inspired by a journey I took to Rwanda in 2012. Although it is a work of fiction, the setting and the people I met there affected me deeply. I wanted to write a love story and shine a different light on Rwanda, a country known for the genocide. It has become so much more than that.

Please share an excerpt of your book!

Somewhere, in another world, a faraway place, it was snowy and beautiful. Shreds of her memory hung loose, a coil of wire unspooled. She was in an alpine forest. The Black Tusk was there, across the valley between the mountains. Her hands were cold and they held something, a bottle or a jar. Olivia saw tiny, silver flashes, lifting and flying above.

Her arms reached out, trying to grab them. Her gravity shifted, and she knew she was falling down, into the valley far below. Is that you Jan?  Where are you, Jack? Where are you going? Don't leave me here! The faces of the two men hovered above her, and she desperately reached out to both of them as she slipped over the edge.

What’s your current WIP? It is another love story, set in Europe, and is more of a historical/fantasy romance. It involves a ton of research, but I am enjoying the process.

And finally, where can we stalk you?  
Readers can follow me at:

My website: http://www.kimhotzon.com/ or follow me on:




1 comment:

  1. Cheryl, thank you for having me on your blog today!

    ReplyDelete